Still life

Still life 

Andrew Vernon

Andrew Vernon is a fine art landscape photographer located near Tampa, FL. As a second generation photographer, Andrew is the lead photographer for and manages the studio portion of his family’s portrait business.
A Florida native, Andrew finds his passion in florida landscape photography and florida long exposure photography but also travels as often as possible seeking out opportunities for compelling images across the country. Within the past two years, Andrew has added new work to his portfolio from Florida, Maine, North Carolina, Tennessee, Colorado, Oregon, Washington and Alaska.Andrew’s work has been on display in the Florida Museum of Photographic Arts, Tampa’s Creative Loafing magazine, Bamboozle Cafe in Tampa, Springhill Suites in Tampa and the Hotel Indigo in downtown St. Petersburg.
Andrew currently lives in St Petersburg with his wife, Hannah.

What I like about this picture, In Particular is that its quite simple i like how its just the one glass and its not overcrowded with glasses it has that minimalistic factor. I like how it has a dark cut black background which makes the glass stand out and makes it the clear focal point. I also find that having the mirror at the bottom it really interesting and unique when using still life photography.  I also like how he has taken this black and white theme and created a splash of colour with the flame. I also find interesting how the studio lights create the light reflections. 
This is a recurring pattern with Andrews work as most of his work is based around glasses and still life. In some of his other work he uses wine glasses again but he freezes the liquids and makes different geometrical shapes and in different colours he does this by freezing them at different angles then lines them up together.

What attracts me to Andrew is he uses something that,you will have in your house like the glasses I love how he comes up with different ways of taking pictures of the glasses I like this one in particular as he has put this on black and white and I think it works really well with the lighting bouncing off the glasses I think that plays a key part in this picture and that,s what really brings it all together. I also like how he has used this 3D dimension effect,When looking at the picture it looks as if the glasses are as one and I think that,s really unique and different as I haven't seen this in any other still life photography.  









When coming up with ideas for still I knew I wanted to do something I haven't do before and I seen a lot of other photographers do food and if you look up still life most of it will come up with food and I wanted to do something different so I found this photographer Andrew Vernon and he uses a lot of wine glasses or just glasses and I liked how he would take them but I wanted to add a pop of colour and I could really have a lit flame in the studio,I was thinking of all these different ways to add a pop of colour I thought of getting popcorn,jelly beans,M&M and jelly babies and putting them in this big wine glass and doing it that way,Till I was look one night on-line and found shot glasses with red water,Which is where I got the idea for the food colouring in the glasses,I also wanted to use a mirror so you could see the reflection of the glass but when it come down to taking the picture with the mirror its a lot hander than I thought,Because I had lights above the table and in most of my shots you could see them in,So I did use the mirror in the end I am more than happy with how these come out and what I like most is you can see the food colouring mixing with the water if I was to of done this shoot again I would of used tripod just so all the picture would of been at the same level instead of some of them being far away because when I stated to take the pictures I wanted to get all different food colouring in the glass and put them in one frame but in the end I just picked blue and green,When I put these both in photo-shop I didn't edit them just yet I was playing with the colour balance to see how they looked,when I finished playing around with them,I needed to make the white more white which is harder than it looks I was there for 2 hours just making one side whiter,I used the Dodge and Burn tool and I also used the spot healing brush on parts where it had marks,I must of worked on these pictures for 3 hours each picture,but when I was done the green and blue wasn't sharp as I thought they would be so I when on colour levels and I made it more intense but it kinda put this tint on the picture which I like but others might not I like how the blue one was more of this cold feel to it,When shooting I used a canon EOS 650D also I shot with the ISO at 400 I did try something higher but it was just washing the pictures out to the point you couldn't see the glass  had the F stop on F/5,I really am happy with how these come out,But I said if I was to redo it again I would of used a tripod just so they was all on the same level.



I wanted to recreate one of Andrew Vernon and the one I wanted to do was the wine glasses in a line I thought that was a really unique way of doing still life when I was doing this it didn't work like how he did it so I had to take the shot from the side and I like it more this way than the way he did it,Also I was using a white back ground he used black so his glasses would show up way more than mine would so I had to us glasses with a different colour base so it would high light the glass and you would see it on the white back ground,The only thing I found hard was trying to pick which picture I wanted as they all come out is some really amazing angles I did birds eye view shots which looked really nice but I did want to recreate Andrews work,I had used Canon EOS 650D the setting was the same as the first picture,I also used the same tools in photo-shop a I did in the first picture but I was say it again I used Dodge and Burn tool  too make the back ground more white and I also used the spot healing brush on parts where it had marks,This picture didn't take as long as the first one but if I could redo this shoot I used of liked to try it with a darker back ground I think it would of really made the glasses stand out more and made that more of a different,And I did try this picture in black and white and it just didn't work you couldn't even see the top part of the glasses




Shoot dates 

11/02/2016 
09/03/2016












Comments