Edward Weston and Andre Kertész and Wassily Kandinsky and Ad Reinhardt


Edward Weston 


Edward Henry Weston (March 24, 1886 – January 1, 1958) was a 20th-century American photographer. He has been called "one of the most innovative and influential American photographers…"and "one of the masters of 20th century photography."Over the course of his 40-year career Weston photographed an increasingly expansive set of subjects, including landscapes, still lifes, nudes, portraits, genre scenes and even whimsical parodies. It is said that he developed a "quintessentially American, and specially Californian, approach to modern photography"because of his focus on the people and places of the American West. In 1937 Weston was the first photographer to receive a Guggenheim Fellowship, and over the next two years he produced nearly 1,400 negatives using his 8 × 10 view camera. Some of his most famous photographs were taken of the trees and rocks at Point Lobos, California, near where he lived for many years.

I like how he has done this and used different tones of Gray and black when doing this and I think that's what makes the photo stand out and it almost looks  it like someone has used chalk and draw,This is how detailed it is and I really like how he used subtle lighting and I really like how photographers used this it just makes pictures come to life more,Like is dosent look too set,I think the main focal point to this picture is this the top of the tomato or pepper im not sure which one it is and I really like how this has been taken,He has a-few like this one but this one comes under still life and I have already tried abit of still life in my work last year and I didn't enjoy is as much as silhouette,portrait and abstract but this year seeing some of Edwards work I think I would like to do something like this and I love how he uses dark tones,because I love to make my pictures dark I love that's dark mood to my work so I might do this for my experimental,

This one is known as Shells and I think he captured some beautiful shells and all different patterns and styles which are really unique and different to most shells you see and he has also put them in black and white which I really like and I think it works really well he just uses one object and makes that the main point to his work and I really like how its really simple as-well he used mostly and black back grand to the picture and then used and really soft light but enough to make it look like its natural light to the object,I think the main focal point to this picture,is the bottom of the shell where the light is shining off the shell,When I look at this picture my eyes go to that part of the picture first,As I said before this is just one f this shell work and there are lots of different one but all in black and white and I like that they are you can still see all the different tones and patterns to the shells they don't lose there uniqueness.

Andre Kertész 

André Kertész2 July 1894 – 28 September 1985), born Kertész Andor, was a Hungarian-born photographerknown for his groundbreaking contributions to photographic composition and the photo essay. In the early years of his career, his then-unorthodox camera angles and style prevented his work from gaining wider recognition. Kertész never felt that he had gained the worldwide recognition he deserved. Today he is considered one of the seminal figures of photojournalism.The Estate of André Kertész is represented by Bruce Silverstein Gallery New York, NY 

 


"Hungarian photographer Kertész (1894 – 1985), a master of photojournalism in the 1900s, creates the series “Distortions” on commission in 1933. It includes 200 female nudes that are the result of optical experiments with reflections and mirrors.His interest in distortions begins in 1917, when he photographs a swimmer underwaterIn 1920 he uses the concept for the cover of Vu magazine, but it isn’t until 1939 that a critic attempts to define the genre in the article "Paradox of a Distortionist" on the periodical Minicam, which establishes Kertész as a recognized master".
Kertész’s nudes can be interpreted in various ways.


 As female bodies that sublimate beauty and harmonic form. Or as an ironic commentary on the predominant representation of women as sexual objects.
In 1984, a year before his death, the photographer puts together a last series of distortions in Paris, shot inside an empty room that is transformed into an amusement park hall of mirrors,A technique that to this day poses questions regarding the art of photography, in the sense Kertész literally intends it as “writing with light”.What I really like about them is that I have never seen work like this before and once again he also uses black and white and I think he made the right choice because I don't think they would of looked this good in colour,I also like how you can see the women's face more than once I think that is something different and I really like that I think the main focal point is the women's nose how it is stretched across the picture I really like how he has done these ones they are all in black and white.
 



This is from his still life work and there is something that made me want to pick this one and I just like how simple it is and I really like the shadows it makes and I also like how its not dark as some of his work and I do really like that you can see the main focal point is the top of the fork,If I was to do something like this I would do a spoon and knife just to make and set but I still like this on its own 






Wassily Kandinsky 


Wassily Wassilyevich Kandinsky 4th December1866 – 13 December 1944) was an influential Russian painter and art theorist. He is credited with painting one of the first purely abstract works. Born in Moscow, Kandinsky spent his childhood inOdessa, where he graduated at Grekov Odessa Art school. He enrolled at the University of Moscow, studying law and economics. Successful in his profession—he was offered a professorship (chair of Roman Law) at the University of Dorpat—Kandinsky began painting studies (life-drawing, sketching and anatomy) at the age of 30 In 1896 Kandinsky settled in Munich, studying first at private school and then at the Academy of Fine Arts. He returned to Moscow in 1914, after the outbreak of World War I. Kandinsky was unsympathetic to the official theories on art in Communist Moscow, and returned to Germany in 1921. There, he taught at the Bauhaus school of art and architecture from 1922 until the Nazisclosed it in 1933. He then moved to France, where he lived for the rest of his life, becoming a French citizen in 1939 and producing some of his most prominent art. He died at Neuilly-sur-Seine in 1944.


What I like how this is that it was done before its time,What I mean by this is it was done in the 1800/1900 and this kinda looks like something that shouldn't of been done in that time,I do like all the different lines and shapes in the picture,And all the differnt coloures I feel like he has more shape and lines than colour but he hasnt really got that pop of colour but he dose have the sun kinda thing in the top left which is dark and I think that gives the work its pop and like the soft and pastel colors he has used I havve an idea how he did this it looks like he has used a ruler and done these perfect lines and he has also added angles to his work as he liked to use maths and biography.



If you look long enough into this picture you start to see different things and that's what I liked about his work all of his work is different and you see different things and there is something about the colour in this one they start off dark and go abit light in the middle I think this painting come under biography the same as the other one.


Ad Reinhardt 


 Adolph Frederick Reinhardt ("Ad" Reinhardt) (December 24, 1913 – August 30, 1967) was an abstract painter active in New York beginning in the 1930s and continuing through the 1960s. He was a member of the American Abstract Artists and was a part of the movement centered on the Betty Parsons Gallery that became known as abstract expressionism. He was also a founding member of the Artist's Club. He wrote and lectured extensively on art and was a major influence on conceptual artminimal art and monochrome painting. Most famous for his "black" or "ultimate" paintings, he claimed to be painting the "last paintings" that anyone can paint. He believed in a philosophy of art he called Art-as-Art and used his writing and satirical cartoons to advocate for abstract art and against what he described as "the disreputable practices of artists-as-artists".


He liked to used a-lot of dark tones in his work and I love this one when I look at it.It just reminds me of doors and windows and I think that's just because if you look at it long enough it starts to look like and and I do really like how he has done this there is two ways,The first way is he has cut up little bits of black paper and put them the way he likes and added likes to give it more dimension to his work,the other is he has painted it or used some inks and used different brushes,I like dark work so when I seen this I just fell in love with it and I really would like to do something like this but I would used ripped up black card or paper and do it that way.



This was called the black painting and he did a-few others like this and it is what it sounds like all shades of black and I think something as simple as that is just amazing that,as everyone knows I love black its my favourite colour but black isn't a colour its a tones,I picked Ad Reinhardt because I just like how simple his work and I know I say that a lot but it really is,like doing the different shades of black and did an whole galley full of black painting.





















Comments